A mini-tummy tuck is a plastic surgery procedure that is designed to remove excess sagging skin of the lower abdomen with a shorter scar than a full abdominoplasty procedure. Tummy tucks and mini tummy tucks can be performed for women after pregnancy, and for men after massive weight loss.
Once the excess skin is removed, the lower abdomen and love handle areas can be reshaped and contouring to give you your old waist back by flattening your stomach. The belly button is not changed during a mini-tummy tuck, but an abdominal muscle repair for split rectus muscles (diastasis rectii) can be performed through a mini tummy tuck incision, although this is a difficult procedure that should only be performed by the most experienced abdominoplasty surgeons for best results.
Dr. Nicholas Vendemia performs Tummy Tucks, Mini Tummy Tucks, and LipoSculpting™ procedures for women and men in the New York metro area. He is a leading cosmetic surgeon in New York City with a reputation for custom care and beautiful results. Feel free to give us a call at 917-703-7069 to schedule a personal consultation, or send us a message by clicking here.
You may also want to visit our Mommy Makeover Photo Gallery to see before and after images of real patients like you who chose to have Mommy Makeover surgery with Dr. Nicholas Vendemia at MAS.
What are the goals of a Mini Tummy Tuck?
- Remove excess stretched out skin from the lower abdomen.
- Repair split abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis) and restore appropriate rectus muscle position and function if necessary.
- Restore a feminine, semi-hourglass or hourglass figure with a youthful shape to the waist and hips for a woman, or a tighter, more masculine waistline for a man.
Considerations for a mini-tummy tuck procedure:
- The amount of excess skin on the abdomen, and the severity of the stretch marks in this area.
- The amount of distortion and stretching of the belly button.
- The degree of muscle separation of the rectus muscles.
- The amount of “squaring” of the waist because of excessive love handle formation.
How long is the recovery after a Mini Tummy Tuck?
- Immediately after surgery. You’ll feel tired and sore, but not as much as you would if you had a full abdominoplasty procedure. You’ll have to walk a bit hunched over because your new tummy will feel tight, but this will only be an issue for the first few days.
- Three days after surgery. By the third day, you’ll start to get your energy back, and you won’t need to take as many pain pills. You’ll be standing a much straighter when you walk, and everything will feel less sore.
- One week after surgery. Nearly all of your soreness will be gone, and you’ll probably be off pain pills altogether. You’ll be standing and walking straight up, and your energy levels will be much higher. Any drains and/or dressings will be removed (if they haven’t already been previously). You will be fine to go back to work at this stage.
- Two weeks after surgery. At the 2-week mark, you’ll be able to get back into light activities like walking and low-impact exercise.
Can I have liposuction instead of a Mini Tummy Tuck?
The short answer is “it depends.” If you’ve had children, especially multiple children, chances are that liposuction won’t help. If you have a lot of stretch marks on your abdomen, that saggy skin will probably not tighten up after liposuction alone, and in the worst case scenario it could actually end up sagging more. Liposuction only removes excess fat, but it doesn’t do anything for stretched out skin and/or split abdominal muscles (diastasis recti), which are the two most common problems after having children. Liposuction and abdominoplasty have very different recovery periods, risks, and costs, but they also have very different results, so make sure that you understand which procedure is appropriate for you.
For more information tummy tuck surgery, abdominal muscle repairs, or plastic surgery closures for scheduled C-sections, please call our office at 917-703-7069, or send us a message by clicking here. We offer the most innovative techniques and the quickest recovery times in the safest environment possible.
How long does a Mini Abdominoplasty take?
A standard tummy tuck takes about 1.5-2 hours depending on how much tissue needs to be removed, and whether or not your abdominal muscles need to be repaired.
What does a Mini Tummy tuck scar look like?
A mini tummy tuck scar is more similar to a C-section scar than the hip-to-hip scar of a full abdominoplasty, and your surgeon will always do whatever he can to keep it low enough to be hidden below the line of your underwear and bathing suits.
How is a mini tummy tuck different from a full abdominoplasty?
A mini-tummy tuck, or mini-abdominoplasty, involves a smaller incision than the traditional procedure and therefore produces a smaller scar once everything is healed.
- Shorter Scar. The main benefit of a mini abdminoplasty is that the scar is shorter. A standard tummy tuck scar goes from hip to hip, but a mini tummy tuck scar is only slightly longer than a C-section scar.
- Faster Recovery. Since the area of surgical dissection is smaller, there is usually significantly less downtime with a mini-tummy tuck. Most mini abdominoplasty patients are back to normal activities, with the exceptions of heavy lifting and strenuous exercise, after 2-3 days, and back to work in less than a week.
- Possibility of Not Needing Drains. Drains are a necessary part of most tummy tuck procedures, but occasionally they can be avoided with a mini abdominoplasty if the amount of extra skin is very small.
Am I a candidate for a Mini-Tummy Tuck?
Many women who have had only one pregnancy, do not have many stretch marks, and have gotten back to their pre-pregnancy weight are candidates for a mini-tummy tuck. If you’ve been pregnant multiple times, if you think you’re abdominal muscles might be split (diastasis), or if you haven’t gotten back to your pre-baby weight, you may need a full abdominoplasty for the best result. The only way to know for sure is to be examined by a cosmetic surgeon, so contact us online today if you’re interested in learning more.
How painful is a mini tummy tuck?
In general, mini tummy tucks are much less painful than regular tummy tucks, but the answer to this question depends mostly on whether or not your abdominal muscles need to be repaired. If your muscles are not significantly separated, your procedure will be much more comfortable than an operation that involves an extensive muscle repair. If you have had multiple pregnancies, chances are that a muscle repair will be required for the best result, but the only way to find out for sure is to schedule a consultation so that the doctor can examine your abdomen. Most of the time, it is possible to decide whether or not a muscle repair is necessary after a physical examination.
How long do I need to take off from work after a mini tummy tuck?
It depends on how physical your job is. If you work at a desk most of the day, you can probably go back to work in about a week.
When can I go back to the gym after a mini tummy tuck?
You can start back at the gym with light, low impact cardio workouts after about a week, and gradually advance your level of exertion over the following 2 weeks. You shouldn’t perform and resistance training (machines or free weights), or abdominal exercises, until at least 6 weeks after your surgery if you have had a muscle repair as part of your procedure.
How much does a Mini Tummy Tuck cost?
The price range for a Mini Tummy Tuck is anywhere from $5,000 to $8,500 depending on the complexity of your particular procedure, and a few other variables that you’ll discuss with your surgeon during a consultation.
Are there financing options available for a Mini Tummy Tuck?
Absolutely! There are two financing options available, and one of them will usually offer a period of 0% interest for qualified applicants, and for many patients, the monthly payments can be as low as $200. And the best part of these financing plans is that you’ll know whether or not you qualify before you leave the office after your consultation