The Mommy Makeover procedure is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures at our NYC practice and nationwide.
The Mommy Makeover addresses nearly all of the cosmetic problems that multiple pregnancies create in a single surgery with a single recovery. Several different cosmetic procedures for the breasts and abdomen are performed in a specific order during the same operation for more proportional overall results, a faster healing time, and a single recovery effort. Operating room efficiency is important for Mommy Makeover surgeries to prevent excessive procedure times that can increase the risks of long anesthesia times, so be sure that your plastic surgeon is experienced and comfortable with full Mommy Makeover procedures. Operating times for an experienced Mommy Makeover surgeon should almost always fall within the 3-5 hour time window, unless there are unpredicted and extenuating circumstances, and this kind of efficiency with multiple procedures is important to keep a surgery that involves multiple procedures safe and the recovery period as short as possible.
Dr. Nicholas Vendemia performs Mommy Makeover operations and LipoSculpting™ procedures for women. He is a leading cosmetic surgeon in Los Angeles with a reputation for custom care and beautiful results. Feel free to give us a call at 917-703-7069 to schedule a personal consultation, or send us a message by clicking here.
You may also want to visit our Mommy Makeover Photo Gallery to see before and after images of real patients like you who chose to have Mommy Makeover surgery with Dr. Nicholas Vendemia at MAS.
What are the goals of the Mommy Makeover procedure?
- Restore a youthful fullness, shape, feel and cleavage to the breasts.
- Remove excess stretched out skin from the abdomen.
- Repair split abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis) and restore appropriate rectus muscle position and function.
- Restore a feminine, semi-hourglass or hourglass figure with a youthful shape to the waist and hips.
Considerations for the Mommy Makeover procedure:
Your plastic surgeon will determine the appropriate combination of surgical procedures to perform based on his assessment of the following factors:
- The amount of deflation of your natural breast tissue, and the amount of cleavage loss in the upper pole of the breasts.
- The degree of sagging of the breasts.
- The amount of excess skin on the abdomen, and the severity of the stretch marks in this area.
- The amount of distortion and stretching of the belly button.
- The degree of muscle separation of the rectus muscles.
- The amount of “squaring” of the waist because of excessive love handle formation.
A Mommy Makeover is a combination of five individual cosmetic procedures for the breasts and abdomen:
- Breast Augmentation
One of the most noticeable changes after pregnancy and nursing is the atrophy of breast tissue…particularly in the upper aspect of the breast that is responsible for that beautiful cleavage line. Breast implants are frequently used to replace this lost tissue and restore a natural contour and cleavage line. If you have lost more breast fullness and shape than you’re comfortable with, silicone breast implants are a very safe and effective way to restore lost volume and youthful perkiness.
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
Pregnancy is a double whammy on the breasts. Not only does it lead to breast tissue atrophy, but it also leads to stretching and sagging. Breast implants can easily and safely restore volume to the breasts, but only a breast lift can correct the sagging. When done correctly, performing a breast lift and a breast augmentation at the same time can produce an incredibly natural result that can’t be matched by either procedure alone.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
Unfortunately, the breasts are not the only bodypart that sags after pregnancy. The abdomen is hit just as hard with stretch marks and sagging skin. When the abdominal skin is stretched to it’s limit over and over again through multiple pregnancies, it eventually reaches a point when it cannot bounce back (no matter how many crunches you do!), and that’s when you know you’re ready for a tummy tuck.
- Abdominal Muscle Repair (Rectus Muscle Diastasis)
The abdominal skin isn’t the only part of the abdomen that gets stretched during pregnancy. The rectus abdominis muscles also get stretched to their max and will often times lose their ability to contract efficiently and hold the abdomen firm and flat. During the abdominoplasty portion of a Mommy Makeover, the rectus muscles can be repaired and returned to their pre-baby condition.
Most mommies have a hard time losing the last bit of “baby weight” on their hips and thighs, and liposuction can remove that stubborn fat faster than any personal trainer!
How long is the recovery after a Mommy Makeover?
- Immediately after surgery. You’ll feel tired and very sore, but you will have plenty of strong pain medicine to make you comfortable. You’ll have to walk a bit hunched over because your new tummy will feel tight, and you’ll feel like taking a few naps during the day.
- Three days after surgery. By the third day, you’ll start to get your energy back, and you won’t need to take as many pain pills. You’ll be standing a little straighter when you walk, and everything will feel less sore.
- One week after surgery. Days 7-10 are usually the turning point in the recovery period. Most of your soreness will be gone, and you’ll probably be off pain pills altogether. You’ll be standing and walking straight up, and your energy levels will be much higher. Any drains and/or dressings will be removed, and you’ll have far fewer things to keep track of.
- Two weeks after surgery. At the 2-week mark, you’ll be able to get back into light activities like walking and low-impact exercise, but you won’t be allowed to lift anything heavier than 5lbs until week 6. You could theoretically return to work at this point (assuming that your job does not involve heavy activity), but you’ll wish you had taken a full month off (which is what we recommend).
- One month after surgery. You’ll most likely be back to work, and you’ll be feeling great! You may find that you get tired more quickly during the day, but this will pass as you get back into your normal routine. You’ll be loving the new clothes you had to buy, and you’ll be super happy that you had the procedure!
What results can I expect after a Mommy Makeover?
The results of a Mommy Makeover can be some of the most dramatic results in all of plastic surgery! Fuller perkier breasts + tighter flatter tummy = one very happy mother! Click here to go to our Mommy Makeover Photo Gallery.